Conduct of Census of Population 2020
The beginning of 2020 saw the COVID-19 pandemic impacting the Singapore economy and everyday lives of people. The Census of Population 2020 was conducted amidst the COVID-19 pandemic which posed unprecedented challenges and presented valuable lessons for the planning and implementation of future surveys.
Improvements in Openness & Coverage of Data on SingStat Website
The SingStat Website topped the global Open Data Inventory (ODIN) ranking of National Statistical Offices’ websites on data accessibility (openness) and availability (coverage) for 2 consecutive assessments in 2018 and 2020.
DOS made improvements to better communicate statistics to users via more visualisations such as animated infographics, interactive dashboards, and videographics. These visualisations are pitched at varying levels of statistical knowledge to cater to diverse user groups. Multi-dimensional data cubes are also made available for users to undertake deeper analyses.
Key Statistical Developments in the 2020s
- The SingStat Website retained top spot in the global Open Data Inventory (ODIN) 2020/21 ranking. ODIN 2020/21 ranked the National Statistics Offices’ websites of 187 countries on Openness (i.e., accessibility) and Coverage (i.e., availability) of their data.
- Singapore's sixth Census of Population after Independence and the fifteenth in the series of census taking, was conducted amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Visualising Data webpage was published on SingStat Website for convenient access to varied visualisations to better communicate statistical data and concepts; and the Multi-Dimensional Data Cubes webpage was published to facilitate in-depth analyses using datacubes and their corresponding interactive dashboards.
- The eBook of Statistics, an interactive digital publication, replaced the Yearbook of Statistics. The Singapore in Figures publication was also transformed into a series of dashboards with interactive features to facilitate data exploration.
- The Singapore Standard Occupational Classification (SSOC) Search was launched to provide quick look-up of SSOC codes and occupations found in the SSOC.
- DOS’s Centennial Anniversary
- The tagline ‘Empowering You with Trusted Data’ was incorporated in the corporate logo to underscore our Department’s established standing as a provider of trusted data and data services for data-driven decision making.
- More detailed Consumer Price Index (CPI) data by household income group were published to provide greater insights into the impact of price changes and main contributions to changes in CPI by different household income group.
- More disaggregated Gross Domestic Product data were made available for the Services Producing Industries.